So today I experienced my first real earthquake and of course Carol King popped into my head. Actually, it was definitely as scary as it might seem. It was a 7.9 on the Pacific coastline, which is 90 miles away from San Jose, but it was definitely felt here. Having lived through the earthquake of Washington DC last summer, I thought I had an understanding of what it felt like, but I was sooo wrong. This one lasted a lot longer and it was much stronger, but the worst part was feeling like I did not know really what to do in that situation. I thought about standing in the doorway, but was unsure if that was right so I froze and then ran, which is not what one should do. Now I know to get under the desk and wait out the shaking and once that stops, get up and get out of the building. My physical reaction was shaky knees and stomach which continued long after the quake stopped. I definitely did not have control over how I reacted. Everyone had to gather outside and we had to wait for the security to check all the buildings and make sure they were ok to be back in. Good thing it wasn't raining on top of it. And then the day went on as scheduled.
http://www.ticotimes.net/Current-Edition/News-Briefs/Magnitude-7.6-earthquake-rattles-Costa-Rica_Wednesday-September-05-2012
No comments:
Post a Comment